Heaven on Earth

Heaven on Earth
Pure Beauty

Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Non Restorative Sleep Disorder

If you asked me what a non restorative sleep disorder was a few years ago, I wouldn't have a clue. A few years later, and I know exactly what it is. Quite simply put, I explain it this way, a person spends hours asleep in a bed, but does not wake up feeling refreshed and ready to go, you have a non refreshed feeling!!
It all started a few years ago before I had a clue what Lyme disease was, or sleep apnea. After a few sleep studies, I learned that I had significant sleep apnea, OSA. I was told that once I was fitted with a CPAP mask, I would quickly feel like a new person...wrong! I am still 100% compliant with using my CPAP, but really don't get any benefit from it.

Two years passed, many different sleep aids were used, and finally my Dr. wanted me to try Xyrem as a last resort. I quickly felt like my life had been handed back to me! I would wake up feeling like a new person, I had better cognitive clarity, my memory improved, the pain I have in my replaced hips was better, things were looking up.

There was only one little problem standing in my way, the difference between feeling human again, or like crap! It was called the insurance Co. They would be the ones that would turn my life upside down! I must have come up on their $$$ radar, and they quickly made the decision that because I didn't have Narcolepsy, I really didn't qualify for this medication; this was their way out to cut off my benefits and Xyrem.

I was on Xyrem for about 5 months before they pulled the plug. People around me noticed a major improvement in me; all this quickly went away once I stopped taking the medication. We are now currently at our 3rd appeal stage, to try and get this rather expensive medication covered by the insurance co. I will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment